The North East Medical Sociology group was established in 2011, by sociologists from within the five HE institutions across the region. This regional group’s aims are:
- to bring together researchers and others with an interest in the critical sociological study of health and health service related issues
- to foster collaborative working between individuals and organisations
- to offer mentoring to early career researchers and postgraduate researchers
- to build a community of interest on specific medical sociological topics as identified by its membership
- to bring to policy discussion and wider debate in the region a sociological understanding of health issues
- to bolster the existence and raise the profile of medical sociology as a research discipline (and the contribution of relevant research findings to teaching) within the Higher Education institutions of the North East.